Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Have you said "I DO" ?


Was listening to my favourite morning show on the radio while driving to work Friday morning when I had to pull over to send in an SMS to the station. There was a case in the court as the show was airing and people were calling in and sending messages on a topic which was causing quite the stir.
This supreme court of Canada issued a decision Friday which may now affect almost one million Quebecers living in common-law relationships,who were hoping to bring the province up-to-date and in line with the rest of the country when it comes to alimony.
The battle over common-law couples being granted the same rights and obligations as married couples began with a heated and sometimes emotional court case in 2009, when a woman, known only as "Lola," took a Quebec billionaire, "Eric," with whom she had three children, to court for alimony.
The supreme court has decided against Lola, pretty much saying that if you want to be covered under the family protection (act) then get married!
People called in with all sorts of issues.
"It is so expensive getting married."
-
umm..no it's not! Don't do a reception. Just do an "I DO"! In Canada you can have even a friend take a licence for the day !
-
"Common Law is like a condom...you take your chances."
-
I totally agree! You don't want to get married? Then don't ask to be protected!
 
"Marriage would cost too much to break up as opposed to breaking up a divorce."
-
So you are going to live in a relationship expecting / thinking of the possiblity of a divorce!?
-
"Don't have illegitimate kids! Easy!"
-
You made the choise of having kids, and that too without getting married, then deal with it!
 

 
And then I got to work. Thinking I am totally going to sit and write about this. Honestly! What is a "common law" anyways? Living with someone is common law? So if you have a male room mate but have no sexual relationship are you common law? Common law is ridiculous. I am not going to sit here and judge people who live in common law but for sure will judge people who expect to be treated as a married couple while living in common law!
 
 
 
 
This is where I want to put emphasis on how well balanced and well rounded Islam is. Not only is this whole idea of "illegitimate" children a sin, but also there is a built-in "family protection law".
And, there is a reason besides the obvious of not allowing to have children unless married. So that everyone is protected! Everything you need for protection, for both mothers / wives and children and even the father / husband, is so delicately sewn into the religion. There are no questions, no complications. Above all, if you have to get a divorce, then like marriage, it is not expensive.
 
 
 
Then I got in my car heading back home, don't usually listen to the radio at that time, I turned on the radio again. The decision had been made and there was chaos galore all over the province! The Court had (Thanks God) made an excellent decision. Poor Quebec, people were going insane.
 
"..But we (h)ave to get the same protection as married people.. it (h)appens everywhere else in Canada so why not (h)ere!?
 
"it is our right if we want to get married or not but it's the government's responsibility to protect us "
for what??? for choosing not to get married ?
 
At this point, I called in to the station. The lady didn't even get my point though. I said:


 " I don't understand why this is a problem, get married...get treated like a married couple. Don't get married ...dont expect being treated the same! As for the kids, it's a decision made! "
 


The lady started telling me that under the law, all children had equal rights.
 
 
 
 Call me prehistoric, call me old fashioned, or simply a citizen who chose to say "I do".. but I'm sorry, you can't get the same rights as me if you haven't signed the deal!


No comments:

Post a Comment